Clinical Course Outline
Total Hours: 43 hours
Students will receive a certificate of completion, indicating they have successfully gained the knowledge and skills to practice as a Basic, Advanced and Diabetic Foot Care Nurse.
Certification can be used to qualify as a Blue Cross service provider and allows your patients to claim your services on their insurance plans.
Mentorship (hours 3) - Students may observe their FCN Clinical Lead Educator or one of the FCN Clinical Preceptors performing 2 nursing foot care clinical appointments. These mentorship hours are to be completed during the hours of the FCN Clinical.
Advance Nursing Foot Care Skills (21.5 hours) - This portion of the course will be taught in our foot care clinical setting and covers all advanced nursing foot care skills required to complete FCN Clinical, including: risk assessments, treatment, development of individualized treatment plans, referrals and health education. Students may be guided to simulate step by step practical hands on skills on 2 volunteer clients each.
Clinical Skills (15.5 hours) - This portion of the course will be offered in our clinical care setting and provides students with clinical experience with volunteer clients.
Students will be will be able to practice during clinical training advanced skills such as
· Gait Analysis
· Nail reduction
· Padding, Strapping and Offloading.
· Silicon Molding
· Methods to teach patients about diabetes, neuropathy, and circulation.
· Prevention and treatments for a variety of comorbidities
· Practice Sharp reduction
Theory Tuition: $800
Foot Canada Training requires that all nurses registering for this course must first complete Foot Canada's Online Theory, prior to starting the Onsite FCN Clinical course to ensure that students acquire a strong theoretical foundation.
To register or for more information about the FCN Theory course, please visit the FCN Theory course page on the Foot Canada Training website. www.footcanada.ca
· Clinical Tuition: · $2000
· 40 hours of clinical (includes 21.5 hours advanced nursing foot care skills, 15.5 hours of clinical practice skills and 3 hours of mentorship).
· A certificate of completion on successfully meeting minimum requirements of the course.
· Payment methods:
· Debit, E-transfer or Credit card ($50 transaction fee applies to payments)
Expenses not included in tuition:
Food & Drink – Students are responsible for their own food and drinks each day. Costs for accommodation & travel to and from clinical and mentorship locations
Refund and Course Cancelation Policy:
Should you wish to withdraw, note that tuition received is non-refundable and cannot be deferred. It is the student's responsibility to attend this course in its entirety for the dates and times registered to receive their final mark and certificate
Students are to arrive at clinical with a printed (or electronic) copy of the following:
· Personal protective insurance (malpractice insurance- we use lloyd and Sadd Insurance)
· Current non-restricted Nursing Registration/License from Nursing Regulatory Body.
· Hard copy government issued photo ID.
Proof of full covid vaccination
· Student Guide (pdf sent by email).
· Clinical Course Outline (link sent by email)
· CAFCN’s National Competencies for Advanced Nursing Foot Care in Canada (2017)
· Lazenby, Cindy. LM. (2017) Art & Science of Foot Care